Sunday, January 12, 2014

Shoes to Match

Growing up in the country we had "play clothes" and "nice clothes", hand-me-downs were a thing and our mother worked hard to pay for my sister and I to have the nicest dresses. Every year at Halloween she hand sewed the most elaborate costumes and it was important to choose wisely when selecting a pair of shoes because, per our mom, it was "unacceptable to be running about in our stocking feet" at the end of the night. I never truly appreciated any of this until I was older. It was strange that this is what I thought of on that day; standing on a beach near Homer Alaska, adorned in a red dress made from found materials and wearing a pair of green boots like the ones my father has worn every day since I can remember. I looked down at my feet, listened to the waves lapping against the shore and thought... "this is accurate, exact and correct in every detail, these shoes are perfect." Photographs by Heather Thamm

No comments: