Monday, April 25, 2011

Social Topography - the art of giving directions and finding our way


In addition to the dresses that are still and always on my mind I've begun a new art project. A simple request for a map.

A map from you to me- to or of a place, it can be a real or made up place. The map can be described in words or pictures and lines, written/drawn in any medium on any surface (a bar napkin or a canvas). The map can be detailed or not, it can take 5 minutes or hours to draw/create.

During the early stages of my interest in Media Literacy I began thinking about how our culture has seemingly lost the ability and patience to describe places and directions in words or in pictures. Less and less people are inclined to ask for directions or seek out a local to provide beta on the best places to eat or visit - we simply consult a smart phone, avoid going out of our way and gravitate towards recognizable singage and convenience. I have thought about this project for many years and am now ready for it to take shape. I am requesting a map from each person who has affected change in, and moved my life in new directions.

If you find yourself with two extra minutes in life and an insey bit of inspiration please write it down - and send it my way.

I hope that this finds you with your feet upon a path worth navigating and may you be guided by something other than a smart-phone.

No comments: